Listed buildings of Newbury
(a pdf version of this page is available here)
This list attempts to summarise all the extant listed buildings in Newbury and its suburbs, taken from the listing particulars on the Images of England web site, with helpful additional information from Jeremy Holden-Bell and Duncan Coe. The listed is divided into Newbury, and the suburbs or parishes of Shaw, Speen, Donnington, and Greenham. Settlements outside Newbury such as Stockcross and Enborne are not included. Only minimal details are given. Gravestones are not included.
The general geographic direction is South to North, except that Greenham buildings are tacked on to the end. The numbering in each road is sequential, which may entail crossing the road if odd numbers are on one side and even numbers are on the other (as in the Broadway), but not if the numbering follows the buildings (as in Northbrook Street). For Newbury shops, the shop name is given where possible, as many do not give the building number on their front door.
Map (Click this link to find properties on a map of Newbury)
- Warren Lodge Presbytery, Warren Road (II). 1858 farmhouse, built when Wash Common was enclosed. Entrance portico with panelled pilasters. Now presbytery to St Francis de Sales Church.
- Squirrel Cottage, Kendrick Road (II). 1720 pair of cottages, now in single occupation. Former endowment of Kendrick's Morning Prayer Charity, founded in 1624.
- Monks Lane filling station (II). 1934 first-generation petrol filling station, no longer in use.
- Wellington Arms Public House, 4 Andover Road (II). Early 19th century.
- 61-67 Andover Road (II). 1784 symmetrical terrace.
- St Bartholomew’s Hospital, 1-27 Argyle Road (II*). 1698 reconstruction of 1618 almshouses, restored mid 20th century.
- Building at rear of Nos 13 & 15 St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Argyle Road (II). 1839. Formerly part of a range linked to the Litten, Newtown Road, and used by the Free School in the 18th and 19th century.
- Gateway and wall of St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Argyle Road (II). 1698.
- Bartholomew Manor, 4 Argyle Road (II). Early 16th century hall-house (probably built between 1518 and 1535), remodelled mid 16th century. Refronted on east side early 18th, remodelled mid 19th century and 1927-8.
- 12-26 Argyle Road (II). Circa 1670 almshouses, extensively reconstructed 1929 as homes for retired nurses.
- Bartholomew Close, Argyle Road (II). Early to mid 18th century.
- Upper Raymond Almshouses, 1-10 Newtown Road (II). 1826 terrace. Symmetrical south front in "Gothick" style with battlemented central gable flanked by pinnacles over stone arched gateway (now blocked). Casement windows to first floor with cinquefoil-traceried heads. Later, continuous portico.
- 22 & 24 Newtown Road (II). Early 19th century pair of semi-detached villas. No. 22 has modern garage extension at rear.
- 6-13 Madeira Place, Newtown Road (II). Mid 19th century terrace.
- Vicarage of St John’s Church, 30 Newtown Road (II). Late 19th century vicarage in modified Tudor style. Brick with diaper decoration.
- Church of St John the Evangelist, Newtown Road (II). 1955-7 by S.E. Dykes-Bower, in a neo-Romanesque style; extended 1982-3 by R. Gradidge in a similar style. Stained glass windows in the sanctuary by A.E. Buss of Goddard and Gibbs. Replaces an earlier church by W. Butterfield, destroyed by bombs during an air raid on February 10, 1943.
- Litten Chapel, Newtown Road (II*). Early 16th century remains of the chapel of the old hospital of St Bartholomew, attached on west side to Litten House, shortened at the east end in 1825 when Newtown Road was widened. Flint rubble walls and brick east gable end. Each side wall originally had two windows, the north-west window converted as a doorway in 1947 and the south-east window replaced by a modern arched doorway. East window of 1825. Modern doorway from house. A modern brick extension has been added to the north-west corner. Interior with two richly-carved and moulded queen-post trusses, from which the tie-beams have been removed.
- Falkland Garth, 18 Essex Street (II*). 17th century farmhouse (formerly Falkland Farm), with later alterations and late 18th century south-west wing. Old central brick stack with a pair of diagonal brick shafts. Interior with stop-chamfered ceiling beams to ground floor. Traditionally the farmhouse to which Lord Falkland's body was removed after the First Battle of Newbury in 1643. Listed II* for historical associations.
- The Garden House, 2 Pound Street (Allways Flowers) (II). Late 18th century house, altered. L shaped plan with 2½ storeys, gabled front to rear. Lower two-storey range at rear. 19th century west extension with modern glazed verandah.
- 13A-27 Pound Street (II). Early 19th century terrace of cottages, of interest for the use of vitrified brick on a large scale at this date. Round-arched doorways with blind, radial fanlights and panelled doors.
- 16 & 18 Pound Street (II). Early 19th century villa with modern extensions on east and west sides. Original wooden doorcase altered to form modern portico with glazed side panels. Modern fascia at first floor level.
- 33 Pound Street (II). Early 19th century villa.
- Oxford Intensive School of English, Enborne Road, formerly St Nicolas Church Primary School (II). 1859 by Butterfield. Two large blocks at the junction of Enborne Road and Rockingham Road, linked by a tower with a short hexagonal spire with modern triangular lucernes. Red, patterned brickwork. Traceried windows with gabled dormers. Arched doorway in base of the tower.
- 45 Greenham Road (II). Mid 19th century villa.
- 99 Greenham Road (II). Early 19th century villa. Doorway with original cast iron trellis porch.
- Greenham House, Greenham Road (A339) (II). Mid 19th century villa with modern extensions at rear for clinic.
- 16 Bartholomew Street (II) (Citizens Advice Bureau). Mid 18th century, altered. Formerly part of the Sugar Loaf Inn (closed 1924). The third story is an early 19th century addition.
- 17 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 18th century, altered. Formerly part of the Sugar Loaf Inn. Mid 19th century stone shopfront, incorporating large carriageway entrance to former inn yard.
- 28 Bartholomew Street (II*) (Charles Lucas & Marshall). Mid 18th century town house. Interior with good dog-leg (renewed) staircase with dado panelling, tuned balusters, fluted column newels and moulded handrail. Early 19th decorated plaster cornice in hall. On first floor in two rooms is 18th century painted panelling and in another room is some re-used and painted early 17th century oak panelling. In first floor room is a late 18th century “Adam” marble fireplace and a painted plaster ceiling and frieze. (Some of this panelling etc has been removed.)
- 28A Bartholomew Street (II) (CLM Solicitors). Late 18th century house, altered.
- 29A & 29 Bartholomew Street (II). Mid 19th century shop, included for group value.
- 2 Craven Road and adjoining hall (II). 1886 (plaque) public hall and caretaker's house. Centre-piece over entrance with monogrammed medallion and shell pediment surmounted by urn. Recessed round-arched entrance with wrought iron gables. Now flats.
- 26-32 Craven Road (II). Mid 19th century pair of villas. Ground floors with continuous wooden tented canopies with trelliswork.
- 29 & 31 Craven Road (Diamond House) (II). 1862 pair on corner site. Brick with diaper patterning. Brick painted “J.G. 1862”.
- Cooper’s Arms, 39 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century refronting of older building. Interior with moulded ceiling beams.
- 40-45 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century terrace of houses and shops, altered. At rear of No. 45, former early 19th century cottage now part of the main premises.
- 48, 48A & 49 Bartholomew Street (II) (Botan Restaurant). Late 18th century house. Good, modern, Georgian style shopfronts.
- Phoenix House, 50 Bartholomew Street (II). Early-mid 18th century house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (Master Builder). It was used circa 1841-1923 as the brewer's house of the Phoenix Brewery.
- Range at rear of No. 50 Bartholomew Street (II). Circa 1842, formerly the beerhouse (east end) and brewhouse (west end) of the Pheonix brewery. There was a malthouse was on the south side of the brewhouse until 1893. The beerhouse was converted as offices in 1893. The three-storey brewhouse was converted as a store in 1923. The top floor housed the hoist, grain grinding mill, the copper, water tanks and malt and grain storage. The first floor comprised the engine room, wash turn room, cooler room and fermenting tun room. The ground floor held the boiler, injector pump, well and cask storage. Included as a complete example of a brewery complex.
- 51-53 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century terrace.
- 59 & 60 Bartholomew Street (II) (Inshop/Martins Newsagents). Early 19th century pair of shops. Former passageway entrance to Vine Cottages (No. 61, Bartholomew Street), now blocked.
- 61 Bartholomew Street (II) (Saffron). 18th century house, formerly the Vine Inn until 1917, altered.
- Former Nos 1 & 2 Vine Cottages (II), now the rear premises of No 61 Bartholomew Street. Early 18th century range, probably shown on the Willis map of 1768. East gable end top is timber framed with brick nogging. Moulded bricks string at first floor level.
- 62, 63, 63A, 63B, & 64 Bartholomew Street (II). Late 18th century terrace at corner of Bartholomew Street and Pound Lane. Nos 62 and 63 were formerly the Blackboys Hotel, the adjoining railway bridge being called the Blackboys Bridge.
- 72 & 73 Bartholomew Street (II) (Netqubate). Early-mid 19th century pair of houses.
- 74 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century cottage.
- 102, 103 & 104-106 Bartholomew Street (II). 16th or 17th century houses. Keystone arch dated 1824 probably refers to the former Union Court behind it, now destroyed.
- The Eight Bells, Bartholomew Street (II). Probably 17th century, refenestrated in 19th century with addition to rear. Formerly the Eight Bells public house until circa 1970. Southern bay is over carriageway to the former Trafalgar Place. Interior with moulded beams.
- Dolphin Inn, 113 Bartholomew Street (II). Probably 17th/18th century inn, refronted late 18th or early 19th century.
- 114 & 115 Bartholomew Street (II) (Kreate & Make/(Vacant)). Late 18th or early 19th century. Included for group value.
- 118 & 119 Bartholomew Street (II) (Jones Robinson). Late 18th or early 19th century.
- Bricklayers Arms, 137 & 138 Bartholomew Street (II). Early 19th century public house.
- 149 Bartholomew Street (II) (Badgers Mensware). Late 18th century house, formerly the Cricketer's Arms Inn.
- 150 & 151 Bartholomew Street (II) (Kitchenmonger). Late 18th century house. The entrance to the Arcade below No. 150 was filled in above the first floor during the late 19th century and the roof extended to take in this addition.
- 152 & 153 Bartholomew Street (II) (Stan James/Naomi House Charity Shop). Early 19th century pair of shops, altered, with late 19th shopfronts.
- 154 Bartholomew Street (II) (Fatface). Late 18th century, altered. First floor with 19th century splayed bay windows. Ground floor with modern openings.
- Parish Church of St Nicolas (I). 1509-1532 in Perpendicular style. Chancel arch and roof of 1858 by Woodyer. Perpendicular nave roof with initials of John Smallwood. Fine carved pulpit of 1607.
- Gates to churchyard of St Nicolas Church, adjoining Bartholomew Street (II*). 1770 gateways, possibly by Fuller White, in Strawberry Hill Gothick. Portland stone ashlar. Double iron gates to both.
- 6 Cheap Street (West Berkshire Conservative Association) (II). Early 19th town house. Interior has contemporary staircase with lantern light above.
- 8 Cheap Street (II) (WBTC). Early 19th century remodelling of mid 18th century town house. Modern, one storey side entrance extension. Interior with good mid 18th staircase and panelling in ground floor south room at back.
- 33 & 34 Cheap Street (II) (Michael Greenwood/Marshalls). Circa 1679, renovated late 19th and mid 20th century. Gables with carved bargeboards and drooping finials dated 1679, with the initials "SAM". Modern shopfronts. The house was formerly the family house of the Mermian family. "SAM" stood for Samuel and Ann Mermian.
- Catherine Wheel Inn, 38 Cheap Street (II). Early-mid 19th century public house in Tudor style. Crenellated parapet stepped up over inn sign plaque. Arched doorway at north end with hood mould. Wide carriage entrance at south end.
- Newbury Post Office, 39 Cheap Street (II). Late 19th century “Gothic” style.
- 41 Cheap Street (II). Early 19th century pair of houses.
- 48 Cheap Street (II). Mid-late 17th century house refronted in early 19th century. Modern shop fronts. Interior with good early 18th century staircase. The first floor back room has good late 18th century panelling.
- 49 & 50 Cheap Street (II) (VCars/Harris Hair). Probably late 17th or early 18th century pair, remodelled mid 19th century. Large, tile-hung, gabled casement dormers. Late 19th century shopfronts. Entrance passage to the former Dotham Place at the south end.
- 53 Cheap Street (II) (Vacant). Probably 18th century, refronted mid 19th century, shop. Mid 19th century shopfront. Included for group value.
- King Charles Tavern, 54 Cheap Street (II). Mid 19th century public house.
- 63 Cheap Street (II*). 1796 town house (date plaque on front "TG 1796"). Interior with two good Adam chimney-pieces. The builder of the house, T. Green, formerly had a datestone of 1788 in the now demolished north garden wall at the rear.
- The Stone Building (Kennet & Avon Canal Trust), The Wharf (II). Mid 19th century granary, formerly part of the wharf building complex, now demolished, which served the corn trade on the Kennet and Avon Canal. Stone ashlar with brick gables. First floor hoist, bracket double doors, platform and canopy.
- 1 & 3 Wharf Street (Hog’s Head) (II). Mid 19th century refronting of older timber-framed building.
- 5 Wharf Street (II*) (Gardner Leader). Early-mid 18th century town house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder). Parapet with pilasters and central round-arched recess. Early 19th century wooden doorcase with reeded pilasters. Good interior with panelled entrance hall with fluted pilasters and staircase with carved brackets, moulded handrail and turned balusters. Old panelling in upper rooms. In the late 18th century wing at the rear the first floor room has a good Corinthian Venetian window, two Adam-style doorways and a moulded plaster frieze.
- 7 & 9 Wharf Street (Document House) (II). 1830 stables of No. 5 Wharf Street, built on site of north range of Cloth Hall, demolished 1829. No. 7 has arched doorway; No. 9, modern entrance. Included for group value.
- Wharf House, Wharf Street (II) (formerly Kendrick House). Originally two separate buildings successively fronting The Wharf: Western house mid 18th century, and an early 19th century block added on the east side (eastern house). Western house: probably timber framed with rendered south front and tile-bung cladding. Eastern house: stuccoed brick. North ground floor window altered. Central entrance with wooden doorcase with panelled pilasters carrying entablature. A north room on the first floor has a good doorframe and dado.
- Granary, Wharf Street (II*). 1723, altered 1935 and 1970 (the listing details say late 17th century). Former warehouse, now shops and extension of Newbury museum. Red brick in Flemish bond. Long narrow single depth range of eight cells, each cell of two bays. Ground floor remodelled in the 1930s when front wall of the ground floor was replaced by bay windows. Timber gallery cantilevered out on first floor with double flight of wooden stairs at centre; the main roof is carried down to form a canopy over the gallery and is supported on a series of cranked posts with wooden rails between; the first floor doorways have plank doors, timber lintels and semi-circular relieving arches, their tympana pierced by extended tie-beams of the main roof which support the gallery roof. Some later inserted windows at rear. East end wall rebuilt or refaced in brick. Interior: Ground floor has unchamfered cross-beams jettied out to support gallery. Brick partition walls dividing range into eight bays; common-rafter couples intact. The roof has been strengthened by later diagonal braces and intermediate collars.
- Cloth Hall, Wharf Street (I). Now Newbury Museum. Built 1626-27 by Richard Emmes of Speenhamland (Master Carpenter), for Newbury Corporation as a cloth-weaving workshop to provide employment for the poor. The original building was of courtyard plan of which the former south range survives. By 1659 the building was used as a workhouse (Kendrick's Hospital). From 1706-22 part of the building was adapted for use as a Blue Coat School. With formation of the Kennet Canal in 1714 the old Cloth Hall became a grain store. The north and east ranges were probably demolished in 1829 when the south range was renovated. Restored in 1897 and converted for use as a museum in 1902-4. In 1934 the Walter Money Memorial gallery was built as the east end in similar style to link the museum with the Granary. Six bay north front with first floor jetty and three large.gables. Tile roof with a brick chimney (circa 1897). Timber-framed with plaster panels. Ground floor bays with semi-circular wood pilasters. Jetty with carved (mostly restored) brackets. Windows and doorway formed in west gable wall before 1759 in similar style to remainder. Doorway (remodelled 1902-4) with pilasters and coved, bracketted hood. Former doorway in west bay of north front. Modern interior.
- Queen’s Hotel, 8 Market Place (II). Mid 19th century refronting of older inn, formerly "The Three Tuns" in the early 19th century and "the Elephant and Castle" before that. Parapet with segmental centre. Carriage entrance.
- Corn Exchange, 10 Market Place (II). 1862 by J.S. Dodd. Italianate style. Ashlar. Front of 3 bays with paired Corinthian pilasters. Quatrefoil lunette in tympanum of pediment.
- 11 & 13 Market Place (Save the Children) (II). 16th/17th century building remodelled and refronted in early 19th century. Modern shop front.
- The Berkshire Tavern, 12 Market Place (II). 1807 pair, formerly the Hatchet Inn, now in single occupation (date in brick-work at rear "John Childs 1807").
- Cottage at rear of No. 12 Market Place (II). Late 18th or early 19th cottage.
- 15 Market Place (Kebab Korner) (II). Probably the southern part of mid 18th century houses by James Clarke of Newbury (master builder), remodelled in the 19th century. Modern shop front.
- 21-25 Market Place (II). Early 19th century reconstruction of older buildings. A lead plaque with date 1681 found in 1970 at No. 25 has been fixed to its frontage. In 1849, five separate buildings, now in three occupations. Modern shop fronts. Passageway between Nos 21 and 23. At the rear of No. 21 is a 18th century brick wing.
- Royal Bank of Scotland, 22 Market Place (II). Early 19th century house, formerly part of the White Hart Inn. Wooden staircase with pilasters and short sections of frieze carrying projecting cornice.
- Gardner Leader, 24 Market Place (II). Early 19th century rebuild of the former Hart Inn, dated 1627. By 1848 it was known as the White Hart Inn and incorporated Nos 20 and 22. A painting of a White Hart is in the centre of the top floor front. At rear is a mid 19th century extension.
- Old Wagon & Horses, 26 Market Place (II). Early 19th century refronting of a 17th century building. At rear, 17th/18th timber framing and brick nogging. Interior with 17th century staircase preserved at second floor level with square newels (one ball finial remaining).
- 27 Market Place (Lovejoy Stevens) (II). Late 18th century, with modern shopfront and passage entrance to the Arcade. Modern shop window. At rear is mid 19th century shop. First floor with unusual cast iron glazing bars.
- 29 Market Place (II). Mid 19th century. Brick, with panelled stucco pilaster strips with scrolled bases at first floor level. Modern shop window.
- National Westminster Bank, 28 & 30 Market Place (II). 1864 by J. Chancellor in "Italian Gothic" style. Three storeys. Ashlar with bracketted cornice and pilastered parapet (originally pierced). First floor windows in round arched recessed with pilasters and cornice. Altered ground floor. Included for group value.
- 32 Market Place (Brasserie Gerard) (II). Formerly Beynon’s department store. Early 19th century refronting of older building. Parapet with wooden sign-board over (“Estd 1827 Beynon”). Former first floor bay windows replaced. Modern shopfront. Interior with good 18th century staircase.
- 34 Market Place (Ask) (II). Late 18th century refronting of older building. Modern shopfront.
- Newbury Town Hall, Market Place (II). 1878-81 town hall by James M. Money in the Gothic style with polychrome red and blue brickwork. 1908 municipal buildings at rear in similar style, replacing the old Mansion House. Four-stage clock-tower at north-west corner with tall lancet windows, traceried first floor window and balcony over entrance. Traceried arched windows to first-floor council chamber with gables over.
- 4 Mansion House Street (White Stuff) (II). Mid-late 19th century refronting of older building. Grey brick with red brick dressings. At rear overlooks River Kennet.
- 5 Mansion House Street (II). Early-mid 18th century. Modern shopfront. In 1849, part of the Berkshire Union Bank.
- 1 Bridge Street (II) (Britannia Building Society). Probably circa 1820, formerly part of the Old Globe Inn (demolished in 1868). The building formed part of a bridge head development which included Nos 2 and 4 Bridge Street, Nos 1 and 104 Northbrook Street. Mid 20th century, neo-Georgian stone bank front with ¾ columns and pilasters at each end carrying entablature. Lower entrance extension at north end using former bridge shelter of 1769-72 as doorway.
- 2 Bridge Street (Griffins butchers) (II). Late 18th century, of which No. 4 Bridge Street originally comprised the south bay. Former bridge shelter of 1769-72 is incorporated as shop window in north bay. Modern shop front.
- 4 Bridge Street (II) (Cotton Traders). Late 18th century, originally the south bay of No. 2 Bridge Street. Splayed bay with three windows on first and second floor. The centre windows have gauged semi-elliptical brick arches and arched Gothick glazing. The bay is cut away in the ground floor.
- Bridge over River Kennet, Bridge Street (II*). 1769-72 by James Clarke replacing an earlier wooden bridge of 1726. Brick with stone ashlar dressings. Three-span structure, of which the two outer spans are concealed by approach roads on either side. Central segmental-arched span with rusticated block voussoirs and four-bay balustrade with cast-iron balusters. On each side at the north and south ends are the remains of recesses which probably formed shelters. Pilasters with moulded caps support semi-circular arches with scroll-keystones, all in stone. Three of the arches have been incorporated in the adjoining shops while the plinth forms a doorway to No. 1 Bridge Street.
- St Nicolas House, 3 West Mills (II*). Early-mid 18th century town house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (master builder) with mid 18th century extension at rear. Blue-grey bricks with red brick dressings. Parapet with pilaster strips and blind, arched panels. Semi-elliptical arched sash windows, on the first floor with brick aprons. Good doorcase with open pedimented hood on consoles ornamented with cherubs' heads. Mid 18th century range at rear with mostly 19th openings to ground floor. Interior of main house with mid 18th century staircase with one twisted, one fluted and one plain baluster to each step. Two re-set, late 18th century chimney pieces.
- 4 West Mills (II). Early 19th century extension to No. 3, but converted mid 19th century to form a separate residence. Fine late 18th century, Doric style portico which originally formed the entrance to the former White Hart Inn (No. 24 Market Place).
- Craven House, 9 West Mills (II). Late 18th or early 19th century town house. Round-arched ground floor windows and doorway.
- 10 West Mills (II). Early 19th century town house. Photo of 1867 indicates that the building originally lacked the present first floor window over the side passage.
- 11 West Mills (II). Formerly included Nos 12 and 13. 1817 almshouse, a rebuild of almshouses given and endowed 1727 by Thomas Hunt for three widows of clothiers. Gothick casement windows with arched heads. Elliptical sunk panel at first floor level, originally with a dedicatory inscription.
- 14 West Mills (II). Early 19th century remodelling of older building. Partly timber framed with painted plaster front and tile-hung gable.
- 15 & 16 West Mills (II). Late 17th century pair of cottages, remodelled early 19th century; formerly almshouses founded by will of Francis Coxedd in 1690. One-and-a-half storeys. One window each. Central, timber-framed, gabled porch with tile roof, brick nogging and panelled door. Ceased to be used as almshouses in 1883.
- 17 & 18 West Mills (II). No. 17 (east side): early 19th century cottage. No. 17 (west side) and No. 18: late 17th century pair of cottages, formerly almshouses founded by will of Thomas Pearce, proved in 1694. Timber-framed with square panels and painted brick nogging. Former first floor jetty. Original windows replaced by early 19th century sashes. Small 19th century gabled porch. Ceased to be an almshouse in 1883.
- 19 West Mills (II). Mid 19th century cottage. Included for group value.
- 20 West Mills (Horsey Lightly) (II). Early 19th century, formerly the West Mills Almshouses, now in single occupation. Modern porch on east return and old doorway in corner with boarded door leading to small court at rear.
- 21 West Mills (II). Mid-late 18th century cottage.
- Club House, 22 West Mills (II). Early-mid 18th century town house. Modern brick porch.
- 32 West Mills (II). Early 19th century villa. Decorated wooden porch entrance with arched doorway.
- Newbury Lock, Kennet and Avon Canal (II). 1796, 20th century alterations. Brick chamber with stone coping. 2 sets of double wooden gates; top gates with mechanical gate paddle gearing, bottom gates with hydraulic gate paddle gearing. Top gates also assisted by lever operated ground paddle gearing, with a single lever on each side of chamber.
- 1 Northbrook Street (II) (West Cornwall Pasty Company). Late 18th/early 19th century, renovated 1979. Part of a bridge head development which included Nos 2 and 4 Bridge Street and No. 104 Northbrook Street. First floor windows in arched recesses. Modern shop front. Splayed bay incorporates former bridge shelter of 1769-72 as shop window.
- 2 & 3 Northbrook Street (II) (('Pop-up' shop)/Costa). Early 19th century refronting of older building shown on the 1768 map as “The Rector's House”. (However, the Rector’s house was in fact a different building in Waldegrave Place). Interior with mid 18th century dog-leg staircase. Reused 17th century panelling and some rough 18th century dado.
- Marsh Cottage, Waldegrave Place, Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th century villa. Grey brick with red brick dressings. Doorway with console-bracketed cornice. Reputed to be the former Rectory of St Nicolas Church.
- Camp Hopson, 7 Northbrook Street (II). 1790 terrace of 2 or 3 houses, now in one occupation. Rebuilt rear premises. Modern shopfront. Lead rainwater head inscribed “WB 1790”. Included for group value of frontage.
- Camp Hopson, 8 Northbrook Street (II*). 1663, altered: rebuilt at rear. Tiled roofs with two tile-hung gables to street with bargeboards and pendants inscribed '1663'. Front of red brick rubbers with Doric and Ionic brick pilasters as pedestals between window bays of first and second floors. Modern shopfront. A gabled staircase projection at the rear now enclosed in the shop and the window blocked. Interior with 17th century staircase, the top flight balustrade and upper balusters renewed in pine. Painted ceiling of staircase with moulded ribs, cherubs medallion and egg and tongue cornice.
- 9 Northbrook Street (River Island) (II). Late 18th century, altered. Symmetrical five window front with pediment over central three bays. Modern shop front. Rebuilt at rear.
- 23 Northbrook Street (II) (Carphone Warehouse). Early 19th century refronting of inn, formerly part of the Jack Hotel (demolished 1934). Modern shop front.
- 24 Northbrook Street (Monsoon) (II*). Early 16th century, altered; known as “Jack of Newbury's House”. Former part of a courtyard complex which covered the site of Nos 22 and 23. North facade to Marsh Lane retains two-storey gabled end and part of lower two-storey north wing. West facade to Northbrook Street refronted early 19th century to form unified fenestration with the rest of the Jack Hotel (demolished 1934). Tile roofs with carved bargeboards. Timber framed with close studding. Tudor herringbone nogging to first floor and gable. Panels of modern brick infill to ground floor. Oriel window to first floor. Modern shopfront. Central chimney stack of Tudor brick. Stone fireplace (covered up) in first floor front room. Ground floor with moulded ceiling beams.
- 25 Northbrook Street (II). Late 18th century, altered, formerly the Brewer's House of the Satchell and Somerset Brewery (circa 1600-1870), later the Newbury Brewery (1892-1932). Modern shop front. Included for group value.
- 26 & 26A Northbrook Street (Cheltenham & Gloucester) (II). Early-mid 18th century town house, originally freestanding (style of James Clarke of Newbury, master builder); altered mid 19th century and later. Red brick with pilasters between bays carrying entablature and parapet on central bay. Windows altered mid 19th century; round-arched attic window in pediment. Modern ground-floor shopfront. Rear fenestration of No. 26 altered, with early 19th century ground floor bow window. Early 19th century range at rear of No. 26A. The building formed part of the Newbury Brewery in the late 19th century.
- 33, 33A & 34 Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th century refronting of 2 older properties, now in four occupations. Venetian windows with pilasters and glazing bars; pediments to second floor; round arches to first floor. Modern shopfronts. No. 33 is Jones Bootmaker; the rest are due to be demolished.
- 35, 35A, 36 & 37 Northbrook Street (II). Early 19th century. One build, originally three properties now in four occupations. Shallow pediments to 1st floor windows. Modern shop fronts. Passage entrance between Nos 35A and 36. Included for group value. Due to be demolished.
- 38 Northbrook Street (Rymans) (II). Early 19th century. Modern shopfront. Included for group value. Due to be demolished.
- 39 Northbrook Street (II). Mid 18th century house, altered. Modern shop front.
- 42 Northbrook Street (Specsavers) (II*). 1724 (date and monogram in spandrels of central first floor window). Composite Order pilasters between bays of first floor carry modillioned entablature. Central first floor window of Venetian type with small Ionic pilasters. Flanking windows in arched recesses, all with keystones carved with children's figures. Attic window in arched recess with plain keystone. Fenestration reglazed early 19th century. Crowning the front were formerly four figures representing the seasons. Rebuilt interior.
- 43 Northbrook Street (II) (Currently vacant). Early 19th century. Gauged flat brick arches to recessed first floor windows. Modern shop front.
- 44 Northbrook Street (II) (A-Plan Insurance). Late 18th century. Modern shop front.
- 45 Northbrook Street (II) (Casino Slots). Early 19th century. Modern shop front. Included for group value.
- 46 Northbrook Street (II) (Ladbrokes). Early 19th century. Modern shop front.
- 49 Northbrook Street (II). Mid 19th century. Three storeys. Modern shop window.
- 50 Northbrook Street (II). 17th century range with wings and outbuildings at rear. Front remodelled mid 19th century. Timber framed with patterned tile-hung front and plain tile rear gables. Modern shop fronts. At rear, 18th and 19th century. North wing timber framed with rendered panels and mullioned weavers window to first floor.
- 51 Northbrook Street (II) (). Early 19th century. Three storeys. Three windows with bowed one window corner treatment and one window north forming the south-east corner of The Braidway. Ionic pilasters rising through first and second floor levels carrying entablature and blocking course. Modern shop front.
- 54 Northbrook Street (II) (Accessory Queen). Early 19th century shop. Wooden shop front with pilasters carrying entablature with dentil cornice; altered shop window.
- 55 Northbrook Street (II) (Strutt & Parker). Early 19th century shop, altered. House entrance with panelled door. Modern shop front.
- The Monument/Tile & Spile, 57 Northbrook Street (II). Late 17th or early 18th century, altered. Two large tile-hung gables. Rendered south gable wall (party wall demolished in 1837 when the Methodist Church was built). At rear, 18th century brick extension. Interior with original ground floor ceiling beams.
- Methodist Church, Northbrook Street (II*). Quasi-Early English style (exterior only). Limestone ashlar. Central entrance bay flanked by six-stage, octagonal buttress-turrets. Central arched entrance to porch. Very rare, unaltered Gothic interior with galleries on four sides carried on elongated Corinthian columns of cast-iron. Gallery parapet with arcaded panels and moulded rail. Octagonal stone pulpit in front of communion recess with arcaded panels entered by an elegant wooden geometrical staircase with wrought iron railings. Communion table in three-bay recess, with painted tables of the Lord's Prayer, Creed, and Commandments. Organ at west end over gallery with carved wooden case. Flat ceiling with moulded ribs, foliated corbels and ceiling roses. Portable font basin with cover, carried on octagonal column. Rare and good example of an early 19th century Methodist Church interior.
- 70 Northbrook Street (J. Lawrence, jewellers) (II). Early-mid 18th century house, altered. Timber framed with stucco front remodelled early 19th century. Modem shop front.
- 73 Northbrook Street (Toni & Guy) (II). Early-mid 19th century shop. Good wooden shop front with fluted Ionic pilasters carrying entablature which extends over carriage entrance to Weaver’s Walk.
- 77 Northbrook Street (Vodafone) (II). Early 19th century, altered. First floor windows in arched recesses. Modern shop front. The Newbury Magistrate's Office formed part of those premises in the mid 19th century.
- 80 Northbrook Street (3 Store) (II). Early 19th century refronting of older, gabled building. Modern shop front.
- 2, 3, & 6 Cromwell Place (II). 1754 terrace of originally five cottages, converted 1959 for use as two offices. Lead rainwater pipe and head inscribed "BM 1754". Interior suggests that there was a continuous first floor passage serving a series of bays, possibly storage or living units prior to its use as cottages. A lean-to and extensions for stairs appear to have been added later.
- 7-12 Cromwell Place (II) (Currently awaiting renovation). Early-mid 19th century terrace.
- United Reformed Church Hall, Cromwell Place (II). 1857, formerly the Congregational School Rooms. Extended circa 1880. Multi-coloured stock brick with blue brick pilasters carrying entablature with blue brick frieze. Narrow end bays with round arched porches, masks on imposts representing Milton, Whitfield, Watts and Raikes. Plaque over central doorways inscribed "Congregational School Rooms".
- 86 Northbrook Street (Skipton Building Society) (II). Late 18th century shop, altered. Shop front retains decorated elliptical fanlight to house doorway.
- 90 Northbrook Street (Abbey) (II). Early-mid 19th century, altered. Modern shopfront. Passage entrance at north end to Pembroke Road. Included for group value.
- 91 & 92 Northbrook Street (No. 91, First Choice; No. 92, Vision Express) (II*). 1744 house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (Master Builder), probably for a member of the Head family. Tuscan pilasters rise through first and second floors carrying entablature. Parapet with pilaster strips. Segmental arched sash windows. Modern shop fronts. Two storey wing at rear with brick cornice and tile-hung gable.
- 93, 93A & 93B Northbrook Street (Vacant) (II). Early-mid 19th century refronting of older house. Cornice and parapet. Modern shopfront. Two storey range at rear; brick and tile-hung. Included for group value.
- 94 Northbrook Street (Currys Digital) (II). Early 19th century refronting of former 17th century house. First floor windows with side-lights flanking blind central window with console-bracketted pediment. Interesting late 19th century shopfront with bracketted cornice decorated with enriched pendant. Passage entrance at north end. Rear elevation rebuilt.
- 102 & 103 Northbrook Street (Clarks Shoes/Accessorize) (II). Early 19th century refronting of older building. Of one build, in the later 19th century part of the Bridge Brewery. In 1891, ceased to be used as a brewery and subdivided. Modern shop fronts. Ground and first floor with ceiling beams.
- 4 Northcroft Lane (II). 1824 almshouses erected and endowed by John Childs for three male members of the Church of England. Gothick style. Blind window over doorway with inscription “This Almshouse was erected and endorsed AD 1824 by Mr John Childs sail-cloth manufacturer of this town for poor men of good moral character, natives and parishoners of Newbury”.
- The Temperance Hall, Northcroft Lane (II). 1859 Temperance Hall in Gothic style. A remodelling of five old cottages. Stone plaque over entrance inscribed “Temperance Hall”. Four tablets at plinth level inscribed “Wine is a mocker/Strong drink is raging/It stingeth like an adder/The drunkard shall come to poverty.” The Blue Coat Charity School adapted existing cottages on this site when it was transferred here in 1722 from the Cloth Hall. The school remained here until 1859 when the St Nicholas (National) School, Enmore Road was built and the cottages were remodelled. Listed for historical and sociological interest. Now a day nursery.
- 14 & 16 Northcroft Lane (II). Late 18th century pair of terrace houses.
- Elizabeth Cottage, The Pentangle (II). Mid 19th century cottage. Elaborated Dutch gable with small attic window and one window on each floor. Front ground floor room has ceiling decorated with arms of 40 English towns and cities, with the Royal Arms in the centre (now vandalised). The decoration is mainly engravings, printed on paper and stuck to the ceiling. Scroll brackets to fireplace. Back room also has a good chimneypiece of the period, with lions heads.
- 1-12 Park Terrace, Park Way (II). Mid 19th century terrace.
- King’s Coffee House, 2 The Broadway (II). Probably late 17th or early 18th century; front remodelled early 20th century. Formerly a public house in the late 19th century. Plaster parapet with segmental centre inscribed “The Kings Coffee House”. Wooden “Regency” shopfront.
- 5 The Broadway (Savills) (II). Mid 18th century, refronted early 19th century. Modern dormers with casements. Modern shop front.
- 7 & 9 The Broadway (No.7, Domino’s Pizza; No. 9, Newbury Kitchen Studio) (II). Early 19th century remodelling of older building. Late 19th century shopfront. Modern carriage entrance. Included for group value.
- 11 & 13 The Broadway (II). Mid 19th century. Modern shopfront. Carriage entrance.
- The Clock Tower Inn, 15 The Broadway (II). Circa 1800 pair of shops, now in single occupation as a public house. Good original shopfronts. Passage entrance. The building had been converted to a public house before 1877.
- 17 The Broadway (Henry George, estate agents) (II). Early-mid 19th century shop.
- 18 The Broadway (Rajastan Restaurant) (II). Early 19th century refronting of older building, formerly part of the Pelican Inn (No. 20, The Broadway). Modern shop front. Carriageway entrance to former inn yard. A print of circa 1825 shows the present building forming part of a uniform 5 window range which included the site of No 16.
- 19 The Broadway (Dovetail Employment Agency) (II). Late 18th century refronting of older building (part of a redevelopment scheme which also included Nos 21 and 23). Good original double shopfront with segmental bowed shop windows with small panes. At rear, two-storey brick range with wide weavers windows to first floor with small panes.
- Thames Court, 20 & 22 The Broadway (II). Circa 1730. Formerly the George Inn (later the George and Pelican) and used as the residential premises of the hotel until circa 1850. Now in 2 occupations. At first floor, windows with triangular and segmental pediments in pairs. Ground floor with modern bank front and late 19th century shopfront. 19th century panelling to first floor; No 22 with reused 17th century oak panelling on the ground floor. Original 18th century staircase.
- 21 & 23 The Broadway (II). Early 19th century remodelling of three older buildings, now in single occupation. The two houses which comprise No. 23, refronted mid 19th century. At rear of No 21 gabled 17th century wing, timber-framed with plaster panels. At rear of No 23, irregular 17th and 18th century gables, brick weatherboard and tile hung (Saddlers Court).
- 24 & 26 The Broadway (No. 24, (Vacant); No. 26, Gurkha Restaurant) (II). Circa 1734. Nos 24 and 26 were developed in similar style by John Carey and became part of the Bear Inn. Late 19th century shopfront to No. 24. Modern restaurant front to ground floor of No. 26. First floor front room of No. 24 has some reused 17th century panelling. After closure of the Bear Inn (1768), both buildings became part of Gale's Speenhamland Brewery and from 1802 to 1935 part of Adnam's Brewery, No. 24 being the brewer’s house. In the late 19th century the ground floor was used as the Bear Public House. The buildings at the rear of No. 24, now converted to offices, were the former brewery and copper works.
- 2 London Road (II). Late 18th century front block, formerly part of the George and Pelican Inn until c1850. Mid 19th century rear range built in the former inn yard. Tuscan portico to side doorway.
- 3 London Road (II). Early 19th century, shown as part of terrace development on print of circa 1825. Included for group value.
- 5 & 7 London Road (II). Early 19th century, possibly refronting of older buildings. Shown as terrace development on print of circa 1825.
- 6 London Road (II). Mid 18th, remodelled early 19th century. Formerly an annexe to the Cross Keys Inn (No. 8 London Road).
- 9 London Road (II). Early 18th century, formerly part of the Phoenix Inn, remodelled early 19th century. Interior with good original staircase. The building is shown substantially in its present form in a print of circa 1825.
- 21, 23, 23A & 25 London Road (II). Early 19th century terrace, altered. The building is shown substantially in its present form in a print of circa 1825.
- 34 London Road (II). Probably 18th century, altered. Formerly the Manor House of Speenhamland. Early 19th fenestration. Interior with early 18th century staircase. The Willis map of 1768 shows this house as freestanding with elaborate formal gardens at the rear and an axial tree-lined avenue on the opposite side of London Road.
- 36, 36A & 38 London Road (II). Early-mid 19th century pair of semi-detached villas, altered. The entrance of No. 36 has been rebuilt to form a two-storey wing. No. 36A with splayed 19th century bow window to first floor and modern shop window to ground floor. No. 38 with patterned cast-iron balcony to first floor window. Included for group value.
- 39 London Road (II). Early 19th century house.
- St Mary’s Vicarage, 40 London Road (II*). Probably circa 1830 (date of erection of former St Mary's Church). Gothick villa. Architraved doorway with thin tripartite shafts capped by small pinnacles.
- 44 London Road (Clarendon House) (II). 1759, built as a western extension of the former Dower House, now demolished. The Willis map of 1768 shows it as part of the King's Arms Inn. Modern bow-fronted Regency style windows to ground floor. Interior with contemporary staircase and "Adam" chimneypiece to first floor room.
- 69 & 71 London Road (Georgian House) (II). Early 19th century pair of semi-detached villas. Entrance extension of No. 69 altered. Included for group value.
- 1A & 2-5 St Mary’s Place (II). Mid 19th century terrace in Gothick style. 6 St Mary’s Place (II). Mid 19th century villa in Gothick style, end house of terrace. St Mary’s Place is blocked with weeds; access is via a car park in London Road or from Victoria Park.
- 1-4 Lime View, Victoria Gardens (II). Mid 19th century terrace. Symmetrical facade of 8 bays.
- 75 & 77 London Road (II). Early 19th century pair of semi-detached villas. No. 75 with mid 19th century splayed bay window to ground floor. Entrances moved from extensions to outer bays mid 19th century.
- St Joseph’s Presbytery, 105 London Road (II). Early 19th century villa.
- 107 London Road (II). Early 19th century villa.
- Robin Hood Public House, 110 & 112 London Road (II). Early 19th century pair of semi-detached villas, with modern additions to sides and rear. Earlier The Myrtles, a private house.
- Millwaters, London Road (II). Early 19th century, former mill house of Ham Mill. Late 19th or early 20th extension added on west side forming entrance front with Tuscan portico. Former entrance replaced by splayed bay with French windows.
- Stowers, London Road (II). Probably 17th century or 18th century mill house, remodelled and refenestrated early 19th century. Timber framed with stucco front. Gable with casement windows with cast-iron Gothick arched lights and glazing bars. Splayed bow window to ground floor with Gothick glazing.
- Hambridge Farm House, Hambridge Road (II). Late 17th century farmhouse. Knapped flint, random rubble with brick dressings. 18th century brick wing extension with hipped roof.
- Barn at Hambridge Farm (II). 18th century aisled barn for hand-threshing, with 5 bays.
- 4 Oxford Street (II). Mid 18th century, formerly part of the Bear Inn, the principal hostelry in Speenhamland until it closed shortly before 1768. Remodelled early-mid 19th century. Rusticated stucco ground floor. 19th century doorway with pilasters and console bracketted cornice. Segmental arched carriage entrance. At rear, late 18th century service range and stables; mostly 19th century fenestration and doorway.
- Chequers Hotel, 6 & 8 Oxford Street (II). Four builds, representing piecemeal redevelopment of the former Chequer's Inn and the acquisition of adjoining properties. No 6 (east): late 18th century, altered. Modern carriage entrance at east end. No 6 (centre): 1833. Modern entrance. Lead rainwater head inscribed 1833. No 6 west): mid-late 19th century range. Stucco with pilasters rising through ground and first floor with balustraded parapet above. No 8: mid 19th century, formerly a private house set back from the road. Former entrance replaced by window. Interiors of Nos 6 and 8 altered.
- Bacon Arms Hotel, 10 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th remodelling of older inn building. Segmental arched carriage entrance. Interior altered but retains 17th/18th century ceiling beams to ground floor.
- 27 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th century town house. The 1768 Willis map does not show this building, which appears to have been built in the forecourt of an older house, now demolished. It is marked on the 1837 map.
- 29-33 Oxford Street (Valle d’Oro/Jason Palmer) (II). Mid 18th century terrace of four cottages, now in two occupations. Ground floor openings replaced by shop and restaurant fronts. Included for group value.
- Queen Anne House, 35 & 35A Oxford Street (II). Early-mid 18th pair of houses, altered. Early 19th century attic storey. Door approached by flight of steps with wrought-iron handrail.
- The High House, 37 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th century town house. Tuscan portico with attached columns. Cast iron railings with urn finials to standards. On a wall in a cupboard in a former ground floor pantry are the dates "John Hicks 1722" and "Fosdich 1822".
- 39 Oxford Street (II). Early 19th century house, with mid 19th century attic storey and bay windows to ground floor. Good, cast-iron trellis porch with tented roof.
- Merchant House, 20 Oxford Road (West Berks Youth Offending Team) (II). Pair of mid 19th century cottages. South return recently refronted with new fenestration and hip roof replacing gable. Now in single occupation.
- Wessex House, 22 Oxford Road (II*). Early-mid 19th century. Stucco with fluted Ionic pilasters carrying cornice and blocking course. Rusticated ground floor. Cast-iron trellis verandah across part with tented canopy.
- The Chestnuts, 2 Bath Road (II*). 18th century house, style of James Clarke of Newbury (Master Builder). The date 1720 appears on the roof; some of the chimneys bear the date 1740. Doric portico with pediment; architraved, segmental arched doorway with fanlight with margin lights and raised and fielded panel door. Good interior with later alterations. Panelled dado and enriched plaster cornices. Contemporary dog-leg stair-case with open string, curved brackets, turned balusters, swept handrail and column newels. Original oak roof structure with diagonal trusses.
- Mulberry House/The Lawn, 24 Bath Road (Micro Focus) (II). Late 18th century. Originally three storeys, the top floor removed circa 1938. Modern parapet. Tuscan portico; round-arched doorway with radial fanlight and panelled door. Later additions to rear and sides.
- Castle Houses, 36, 38 & 40 Bath Road (II). Terrace of three houses which lay to the west of the former Castle Inn. No. 40 is an early 19th century house. Nos 36 and 38 are early-mid 19th century houses. Doric porticoes.
- 42 & 44 Bath Road (II). Mid 19th century villa, now in 2 occupations.
- Goldwell House, Bath Road (II). Reputedly circa 1740, remodelled and reroofed early 19th century. Moulded brick stacks. Late 19th century stone portico with balustraded parapet. Interior with 17th century type staircase with close strings, square newels and turned balusters.
- Maplespeen Court, Bath Road (II). Mid 18th century house, of which the two-storey south part survives, heightened with additions early 19th century. Modern addition to rear. Now flats.
- Smith’s Crescent, 11-73 Shaw Road (II). 1823 terrace of two storey houses. Pedimented central feature with date plaque, inscribed “Smith's Crescent 1823”. Semi-elliptical carriage entrance in arched recess below. Some openings altered. No 37 with shopfront.
- 75, 77 & 79 Shaw Road (II). 1818 terrace (date plaque inscribed 'RS 1818'). Fenestration of No. 77 altered. Included for group value.
- 89 Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century, formerly the Wheatsheaf Inn.
- Shaw Bridge House, 107 Shaw Road (II). 18th century remodelling of an earlier house. Timber framed with gabled front. Modern entrance.
- Former Stables of No. 107 (Shaw Bridge House), Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century. Round-arched openings with radial glazing.
- 112 Shaw Road (II). Early 19th century, altered. Formerly the Old Dog Inn. Two storeys. Small central pediment with gauged red brick segmental relieving arch. Windows with red brick pedimental relieving arches over. Modern shop window. Included for group value.
Shaw House, Church Road, Shaw (I). 1581. Parapet and gables with stone coping and ball finials. H-plan. Plinth with moulded top and strongly moulded string courses between floors. Central Ashlar porch with Ionic pilasters supporting entablature with Greek inscription and triangular pediment, above moulded arched doorway. Interior: Mainly late 17th and early 18th century. Possibly 16th century stone fireplace in attic; re-used probably 16th or 17th century panelling in 1870 long gallery. Three rooms with 17th century panelling and 17th-18th century fireplaces. All other rooms with l8th century panelling and stone fireplaces, including the great hall and the present staff room to north-east. Staircase hall with late 17th century three-flight, square well staircase with 18th century rococo plaster ceiling above. House built for Thomas Dolman, a local clothier, and used as headquarters by King Charles I during the battle of Newbury, 1644.
Lychgate & Flanking Walls of Church of St Mary, Church Road, Shaw (II). Timber framed with hipped tile roof. Central archway with traceried sidelights. Four bays to each side with Gothic curvilinear tracery. Bronze cross on ridge. Erected in memory of Evelyn Agnes Marion Blackburn Maze by W.P. Blackburn Maze. Flint walls with Ashlar dressings.
Parish Church of St Mary, Church Road, Shaw (II). 1840-2. Joseph Hansom. Chancel of 1878 by William Butterfield. Norman style with late 13th century style chancel. Fittings of c.1878. Many late 18th and early 19th century monuments in nave. Good monument of 1707 to Sir Thomas Dolman.
The Old Rectory, Church Road, Shaw (II). House. 17th century centre block with timber framed first floor and tile hung gable. Early 20th century mullioned and transomed windows. Early 20th century right hand block. Early 19th century block to left with 20th century mullioned and transomed window.
Vine Cottages, Church Road, Shaw (II). Two cottages, 17th and l9th century.
Primary School and Schoolmaster’s House, Love Lane, Shaw (II). William Butterfield. 1875 and 1883. Flint with brick and stone dressings. L plan.
Snelsmore House, Oxford Road, Donnington (The Donnington Valley Hotel) (II). Circa 1905 house, possibly by Edgar Wood; service wings to north and west incorporate an early 19th house; west wing extended in 1950. English, Flemish and header bond red brick with tile dressings. Asymmetrical elevations with flat roof concealed behind parapets with tile courses. Almost detached porch at higher level with wrought-iron gates to steps leading down to arcaded loggia. The early 20th century interior is largely intact and the joinery is complete. The hall has dado panelling and a Jacobethan-style open-well staircase. Large drawing room also has dado panelling, moulded plaster frieze and beams and inglenook in semi-circular bay with corbelled brick fireplace. The service wing also has joinery including some early 19th century panelled doors. Property of the Earl of Ronaldsay in the 19th century, depicted on the 1880 OS map as a smaller house called Island Villa. The 1912 OS map shows it as a larger house called The Durnalls.
Boundary Wall to the Priory, Oxford Road, Donnington (II). Mid 19th century, knapped flint with brick lacing courses and coping. Gate piers with pair of l9th century wrought iron gates. Included for group value.
Donnington Dene, Oxford Road, Donnington (II). Early 19th century house. Walter Money, the local Newbury historian, was born here in 1836.
Donnington Hospital, Oxford Road, Donnington (II*). Almshouses 1602, restored 1822. 20th century casements with leaded lights. Central porch with coat of arms. 20th century dormers. Courtyard with eaves supported on iron columns.
Lockett’s Bridge, Oxford Road, Donnington (II). Included for group value.
1 Castle Lane, Donnington (II). 17th century cottage.
Donnington Castle, Castle Lane, Donnington (I). 1386 gatehouse; the castle was built earlier. Flint with stone dressings and some repairs in brick. Ruined courtyard with the remains of 6 towers. Gatehouse to east, possibly by Henry Yevele. Two circular towers at eastern corners with plinth and battlemented parapet. Two square headed windows to east with moulded 4-centered arch below. Interior: Gatehall has two-bay lierne vault with moulded ribs, cusped panels and carved bosses.
Donnington Castle House, Castle Lane, Donnington (II). 17th century with later additions. 1648 carved brick on south front. Stone coped parapet and gabled dormers with ball finials over second and sixth bays. Central doorway with eared architrave and bracketted triangular pediment. Interior: Ground floor, left-hand front room has stone fireplace with arch and carved spandrels.
Stables 20 metres to west of Donnington Castle House, Castle Lane, Donnington (II). 18th century with later alterations. Loft dormer with Gothick “Y” tracery in glazed gable.
Donnington Grove, Donnington (II*). 1772 and c.1782. John Chute. Projecting plinth, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Central door and doorcase with Gothick pilasters supporting open, incurved, triangular pediment. Gothick order porch, with Gothick columns and pilasters supporting frieze and cornice. Service block adjoining to north-west:c,1800. Interior: Good, mainly Gothick of 1772. Main rooms include entrance lobby with colonnaded aisles and benches, double-height top-lit staircase hall with gallery, morning room with canted bay on south-east front, Wyatt-like saloon to east added in late C18, vaulted billiard room in basement and first floor room to south-west with oriel window and rococo chimney piece. A very good and complete example of 18th century Gothick. Now a golf club and hotel.
Bridge over Lake, Donnington Grove, Donnington (II). Probably early 20th century. Ashlar with timber balusters. Balustraded parapet with large rectangular end piers.
Fishing Lodge on River Lambourn, Donnington Grove, Donnington (II). 18th century Gothick. Flint and brick.
Garden House, Donnington Grove, Donnington (II). Late 18th century.
Stable Block, Donnington Grove, Donnington (II). Late 18th century Gothick. Two pairs of garage doors and 19th century iron and glass porch.
Speen Obelisk, Speen Lane, Speen (II).
Craven Lodge, Speen Lane, Speen (II). Late 18th century.
Alma Cottage and Alma Lodge, Speen Lane, Speen (II). Two houses, 17th and 18th century. Painted brick and timber framed with brick nogging. 20th century lean-to porch.
Rectory Farmhouse, Speen Lane, Speen (II). 17th or 18th century with 20th century additions.
Barn at Rectory Cottage, Speen Lane, Speen (II). 18th century. Timber framed with weatherboarded sides and half-hipped corrugated iron roof; formerly thatched.
Granary at Speen Farm, Speen Lane, Speen (II). 17th or 18th century. Timber framed with brick nogging and hipped old tile roof. Nine staddlestones.
Speen Grange, Speen Lane, Speen (II). South-east block late 18th century. North-west block early 18th century. Further late18th century service blocks to north. Interior: staircase in double height oval entrance hall.
Parish Church of St Mary, Speen Lane, Speen Lane, Speen (II). 14th century, extensively re-built in 1860 and 1878. Probably re-used 16th century panelling in north aisle chapel with linenfolds, coats of arms and grotesques. Possible sounding board from Jacobean pulpit, in north aisle. All other fittings 19th century. 2 chest tombs with effigies in chancel; that to John Baptiste Castillion of 1597 in stone, and that to Lady Elizabeth Castillion of 1603 in alabaster. Other monuments include that by Johnathan Hicks for himself and his wife of 1713; that to William Craven and his mother of 1717; that to Thomas Wyld and his son, by Bacon, of 1791; that to Margrave of Anspach of 1806 by Canova and that to William Brinton of 1823 by Chantrey.
Elmore House, Speen Lane, Speen (II). 18th century with 19th century additions, probably refronting of an earlier house. 20th century rustic hipped porch. 18th century panelled ground floor front room with possibly earlier moulded ceiling. Now Elmore Abbey. Oratory and library by Norman Davey. Refectory by Mike Ward.
Hillside Cottages, 1-4 Bath Road, Speen (II). Early 19th century. No. 1 is included for group value.
Hare & Hounds Inn, Bath Road, Speen (II). Late 18th century.
Leighton Lodge, Bath Road, Speen (II). Late 18th century.
Benham Park, Bath Road, Speen (II*). 1772-5 mansion with substantial late 19th century and early 20th century alterations and additions. Probably by Henry Holland with assistance from Lancelot (Capability) Brown. Ashlar and Stucco. Central tetrastyle portico with unfluted Ionic columns and pilasters behind supporting entablature and balustrade. Attic above with balustrade and urns. Interior good; mainly late 19th century. Two fireplaces in entrance hall and one in main bedroom came from Stowe in 1922. The interior still contains many features of importance in the development of the 18th century country house including the small circular double-height vestibule adjoining the inner hall to the west; referred to as 'the tribune' and later adopted by Soane. Grounds landscaped by Capability Brown.
East and West Lodges, Benham Park, Bath Road, Speen (II). Late 19th century gate lodges.
West Lodge Gate Piers and Gates, Benham Park (I). 1662 to 1678. Probably by William Wynne or Winde. Each pier is crowned by trophies including armour, weaponry, standards etc. The gates are late 19th century.
Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). 18th century, remodelled early 19th century. Interior: Fireplace in ground floor room to east has attenuated fluted columns. Good cornice. Fireplace in principal ground floor room to south has paired attenuated fluted columns and central wedgewood plaque. Other good fireplaces and cornices of early 19th century date in first floor rooms.
Garden House, Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). Early 19th century.
Outbuildings of Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). 19th century, now residential. Included for group value.
Stable Block Adjoining Outbuildings of Speen House, Bath Road, Speen (II). 18th century.
Speen Manor Bath Road, Speen (II). Late 18th century with later additions.
Greenham Lodge, Pigeon’s Farm Road, Greenham (Mary Hare Primary School) (II*). 1879-83, by Norman Shaw. Elizabethan style, probably inspired by Shaw House. Brick with stone dressings and some half timbering. Mullioned and transomed windows. Gabled wings with two large 20-light windows. Central gabled porch rising to parapet. Four-centered arched footway with Ionic pilasters supporting open triangular pediment. Paired eight-light windows on first floor to right and left of porch and eight-light windows in gables above. Interior: Central screens passage with double-height panelled hall. Large fireplace overmantel on columns with embossed and gilded leatherwork and wind direction indicator. Dog-leg staircase rising to gallery above screens passage overlooking hall. First floor corridor with oriel windows overlooking hall. Panelled dining room. Chimney-pieces with patterned ceramic tiles designed by William de Morgan and made by Carter's pottery of Poole. Important in the development of the 19th century English country house.
West Lodge to Greenham Lodge, Bury’s Ban Road, Greenham (II). 1879-81, by Norman Shaw. Brick with stone dressings. Mullioned and transomed windows. Roof swept down over arched porch.
Stable block 35 metres to north of Greenham lodge, Greenham (II). Now residential. 1882-3, by Norman Shaw. Brick with tiled roof. Two gabled dormers with barge boards. 20th century casements on ground floor.
Norman Cottage, Water Lane, Greenham (II). Pair of attached estate cottages for Greenham Lodge, 1891, by Norman Shaw. Red brick in English bond and fish-scale tile-hanging. Domestic Revival style. Intact interior, with stairs rising through arches in central stacks.
Barn ten metres to east of Pigeon’s Farmhouse, Greenham (II). 18th century. Timber framed with thatched roof. Five framed bays.
Barn 70 metres to east of Pigeon’s Farmhouse, Greenham (II). 18th century. Timber framed with weatherboarded sides and tiled roof. Six framed bays.
Church of St Mary, New Road, Greenham (II*). Nave and chancel of 1875-6, north aisle of 1888 and baptistery of 1895. H. Woodyer. Early English style. Flint with stone dressings. Painted and stencilled decoration on walls and roof. Notable for the completeness of its fittings and internal decoration, include reredos, altar rails, pulpit and font. 1618 Dutch glass depicting The Tree of Jesse.
Sandleford Priory, Newtown Road, Greenham (St Gabriel’s School) (I). An excellent and complete example of 18th Gothick, 1780-1, by James Wyatt. 14th century flint and stone chapel refaced in 1780‑1 and rendered, retaining the 1400-20 roof with traces of original colouring. Interior: Gothick entrance hall with plaster ceiling. Vestigial great hall, and screens passage with plaster fan vaults. Punch's room with dais with Doric columns supporting shallow saucer dome. Oval room adjoining to east with Adamish decoration including Wedgwood panels above cornice. Landscaped grounds and lake to east by Capability Brown. The priory on the site was founded for Augustinian Canons c.1200.
Stable block ten metres north of Sandleford Priory, Newtown Road, Greenham (part of St Gabriel’s School) (II). 1780-1, by James Wyatt. Slate roof with timber and lead cupola on ridge. Centre bay with clock and battlemented parapet. Projecting wings with battlemented gable ends.
Sandleford Farmhouse, Newtown Road, Greenham (II). c.1800. Red brick, first floor with 20th century tile hanging. Blocked 19th century porch extension.
Dairy Adjoining Sandleford Farmhouse (II). Mid 19th century. Painted brick with octagonal shingled roof, formerly thatched. Octagonal plan. Thermal windows on all faces. Interior: ceiling with octagonal paned and central rosette; slate shelves around walls.
Sandleford Place, Newtown Road, Greenham (II). c.1800 house. Brick with coped pediment. Central doorway with French casements and rectangular fanlight. Tuscan porch with attenuated columns supporting an entablature.
8th June 2011